Saturday, November 14, 2009

GELCOAT REMOVAL EXPERIMENT

I've begun to experiment with gelcoat removal techniques. As I had previously mentioned, sandblasting does not appear to be a good alternative as the blasting easily damages the fiberglass underneath the gelcoat layer. I've been experimenting with alternate techniques and believe I have found a decent option.

I first attempted sanding with an air file using 36 grit sandpaper. This worked but took a considerable amount of time and effort. I liked the surface left by the air file, but needed to find a quicker and easier way to take down the gelcoat.

I next experimented with using a 5" pneumatic rotary sanding disc, using both 36 grit and 50 grit sandpaper. Both sandpaper options took the gelcoat down very quickly but left a somewhat flattened surface.

I experimented a bit more using the rotary sanding disc to remove a majority of the gelcoat and then finished off the surface using the air file. This seems to be working relatively well. The rotary disc takes the gelcoat off very quickly and the air file leaves a relatively fair surface.



The tools used were purchased at Home Depot (rotary sanding disc) and Northern Hydraulics (air file). They are probably not the highest of quality but are accomplishing the job and were reasonably priced. Both came with a long enough warranty to cover replacement should they burn out during the course of the work.


Once the gelcoat was removed, the voids in the fiberglass where the blisters were occuring were quite visible.



I'm currently doing some research on moisture meters as I'd like to identify any major problem areas if they exist. More on moisture meters to follow in a later posting...

The job of removing the gelcoat is going to be quite time consuming. Depending on the amount of time I am able to commit, I'm guessing the removal process will take the better part of the next few weeks. I think there may be another option for removal that may be a quicker solution, but the surface I'm achieving with the method described here is leaving me with a relatively decent surface. I'm hoping that more time spent now will mean less time spent later fairing out the finish surface.

More to come as work progresses...

No comments:

Post a Comment